Alameda and Felipe de Castro gardens
These gardens mark a period when the town expanded beyond the old core. Laid out in the late 19th century, they take their name from the bust on a pedestal at the entrance: Felipe de Castro, an 18th-century sculptor from Noia, royal sculptor under Ferdinand VI and director of the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando. The bronze bust was placed in the late 1800s, as were the large Japanese magnolias.
For the Día das Letras Galegas honouring two local writers, busts were added of Antón Avilés de Taramancos (2003), by Camilo Seira, and María Mariño (2007), by Soledad Penalta of Noia. There is also a bust of the musician Prudencio Romo, co-founder of Los Tamara, by Emilio Mariño.
The Alameda continues the gardens and has changed over time. Iron-backed benches still show the years they were cast and set; the newest have been renewed. The original sand surface was paved in 1968 and later replaced; the bandstand dates from 1950 and the children’s playground from 1970.